Search This Blog

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Re-Visiting Metacognition!

I am posting these two articles, because to me, they represent the dilemma I find myself in right now.  As I travel to different states and countries, I keep bumping into teachers who respond to the mention of metacognition as - "We did that already.  You know, when it was popular."





I am distressed by these comments, because I view research and teaching as a cumulative process - we sift, combine, and recreate our information through a new lens every time we learn something new!  So--I never reach the, yeah, been there done that = got it frame of mind.

In my opinion, these two articles focus on metacognition by having students identify what they think about their own opinions and others - and then - articulate their opinions or thoughts on the topics.  It requires a high level of what I think or know and how does this information compare to others ---leading to what do I do with this? Ask? Clarify? Add?

The first article is shared courtesy of ASCD Smart Brief:

  • Teacher: Twitter boosts participation in classroom discussions
    Los Angeles history teacher Enrique Legaspi has incorporated Twitter into lessons to increase classroom participation among his eighth-grade students. They use their smartphones or class computers to tweet responses to questions in class, enabling more students to contribute to the discussion. "I get feedback on the spot. Not only that, all the students can see what they're sharing," Legaspi said. "This is powerful." CNN (6/9) LinkedInFacebookTwitterEmail this Story 
  •  
  • The second is shared through e-school news.


Ten ideas for interactive teaching

While lecturing tends to be the easiest form of instruction, studies show that students absorb the least amount of information that way.
Interactive teaching methods are an effective way to connect with a generation of students used to consistent stimulation—and education professor Kevin Yee has some advice for how teachers can make their lessons more interactive.
Studies show students absorb more information when not in a straight-lecture lesson

Please - Let us know what you think.  Post a comment.




No comments: