Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Meta-Cognitive Language


Recently, during coaching sessions, teachers asked for a list of core terms they could use when coaching peers.  Soo...I have begun to compile a list.  I am beginning by looking at what I consider universal cognitive processes - those we use every day.  Please add some by using the comment section at the end of the post.

Connections - making connections between self and text, text and text, and world and text. 
Connections can also be made between ideas - orally as well. 

Clarifying - asking questions or making comments that clear up confusions.

Rationale - explaining the thinking process or reason for a decision - tracing your thinking that lead to that choice.

Predicting - anticipating what will come next based on text or other information - forming expectations.

Monitoring - following one's thoughts or a process to be sure the thinking is making sense or the steps are being adhered to - checking to be sure it is done "right."

More to come!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you...this is awesome, I know I will refer to it and I hope it will be helpful to others, thanks for really listening and looking for solutions!!!!

Xwing212 said...

Authentic. I use that word with almost zealot-like furvor when working with colleagues around instruction and assessment.